Can you put window tint on double pane windows?
Yes, window film can be installed on double pain and even triple pane windows. Applying window film on double pane and triple pane windows depends on the solution desired. There are 4 surfaces of a double pane window and 6 when talking about a triple pane windows. Double pain and triple pane windows are often filled with gasses and coated with materials to provide better insulation factor.
Window films in the past were known to cause seal issues and even cause glass breakage. Now that we know that there are several surfaces and even gases that make up a double pane window lets get into the “Why”, window film caused issues with double pane windows.
- Window films in the past absorbed tremendous amount of heat.
- Manufactures didn’t educate it’s dealer network on the products, and this disconnect and lack of education caused issues in the field especially window home window tinting.
- Window film technology was and/is relatively new.
- Lack of understanding of glass surfaces and how window film affects them.
Now days, window film companies work closely with manufactures, and are better educated on the effects of film on glass. There are industry specific tools that professionals like RC Window Films use to understand what type of glass you have, whether it’s treated, coated, tempered, and much more. These tools are essential in identifying and understanding what films can be used on your specific windows.
Double Pane Windows –
We know that they are most often treated with a Low E coating. This coating is designed to provide better insulation, and even reject heat. Gases that are injected in the middle or air space of double pane windows in designed to improve the insulating factor as well as protect the low E coating. Installation of window film depends on the the surface that the Low E coating are applied to. Inspection of the glass is necessary to provide a solution.
Can Window Tint be removed?
Absolutely, Window tint can be removed. The removal of window film can often be a challenge when done incorrectly. Some poor quality films are known to delaminate, causing film layers separate from one another causing and removal process to be much more difficult. Some companies and manufactures recommend using adhesive removers to asset in the removal process. Also, There are some specialized tools that must be used when removing window film.
Depending on the application these are the 4 tools you need:
Steps when removing the film.
- Clean off the surface of the film using Micro Fiber Towels to insure that there is nothing on the glass that would scratch or damage your glass surface.
- Using your Pro Spray Bottle spray the surface of the film to prep prior to scraping. Spraying the film with soupy solution helps reduce the risk of etching the surface of the glass surface.
- Scrape the film off the surface of the glass using your Stainless Steel Blades and Holder continue to spray the glass while scraping the film off the glass.
- Use the 3m Adhesive Remover to assist in the removal of adhesive as needed.
- Use your Micro Fiber Towels to to clean off the glass.
What is the darkest tint percentage?
Percentages of Window film vary greatly between states and jurisdictions when we are discussing Car window tinting. Home window tint however, there are no limitations or laws that we are aware of. This doesn’t mean you wont upset your neighbors or possibly your home owners association. Be sure to talk with your landlord, HOA, and or your City ordnance for further questions.
What is security film?
Security window film a is a thick film designed to enhance the security of your existing home and office building glass. There are several reasons to have Security window film installed. Security window film can be used to bring annelid glass to current to code and regulation standards, prevent glass breakage, reduce the rick of fallout, prevent flying debris from puncturing glass surface, prevent unwanted entry, and even blast mitigation.